Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Meat Bundling

Here is the newest addition to my freezer: Meat Bundle #5 from Fareway. 

David and I have tossed around the idea of purchasing a 1/4 beef or 1/2 hog for quite some time, because when I go to the store, the bulk of my cost is in meats.  One of the best things I've been able to do is look at online ads for each store that I'm going to in order to find which one has sales on what.  This has been espcially helpful with the cost of produce, simply because though couponing is nice, there is a lot of junk to be bought just with coupons. 

I've been amazed to find cabbage for 17c./lb, celery at 88c/pkg., broccoli at 99c/lb, etc.  I am enjoying the preparation of meals using fresh produce that I've found at a great price!  But still, the meat is so hard to find without getting the cheap stuff - bologna and hot dogs.  Overall, I have found better deals on higher quality meats at Fareway than any other place I've found.

After checking pricing and availability with several places, we decided that this time we would go with Fareway for our large meat purchase.  I am really excited because by getting the "bundle" rather than just beef or pork, I can make a variety of things using all different meats.

Here is what it included:
5# boneless chuck roast
5# ground beef
5# chicken hind quarters
5# boneless pork roast
5# boneless pork steak
3# bacon
2# ham

Ideally, our goal is to one day be able to have a self-sustaining farm.  David loves cattle, and we'd like to have a couple of pigs and chickens.  I'd like to have a larger space for a garden (this year, though, it will be my biggest yet so stay tuned for how it turns out!)  But for now, we'll take what we can.  I think overall we saved money, provided I don't start planning super meaty meals just because we have the meat! 

How about anyone else?  Do you buy meat bundles, parts of cows or pigs, etc? 

5 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm just curious Emi, how much was the meat bundle? Dave and I have tossed around the idea of buying 1/4 or 1/2 a cow too and I was just wondering how the prices compared?

Jamie Wise said...

I'm right with you on the cost of meat these days...and we are getting pretty tired of chicken since I am so cheap I won't buy beef unless it is being reduced for quick sale. I have a farmer friend who raises hormone free cows and doesn't give antibiotics either, that meat is SO good! I just signed us up for a 1/4 since it is now MUCH cheaper to buy through them! A few years ago this wasn't the case, but now all cuts are 2.75 or less per pound! (That is dressed weight - so bones, ligaments, etc..included in calculation.) Their steaks and ribs are amazing.

Lori said...

We love buying in bulk right from the farmer! The meat is so much better tasting than store-bought, and the prices are comparable or better. We're working on that 'self-sustaining' farm thing, too! Have you read any of Joel Salatin's books? Matthew went to hear him speak in Grinnell tonight and is all excited about the new ideas he has for farming.

Emi said...

Amy, that particular bundle was $77.00. I'm not positive on how much meat you would get pound-wise with buying one animal, so that's definitely something to consider. For us, getting the variety of meat was great! Lori, I have not yet read anything by Joel Salatin. Is he a "Real Food" kinda guy? Sounds interesting!!

Pearl said...

Hi Emi,
Fareway sounds really good. So you got all those meats for just $77? No way!
I'll ask Sandy to drive me there next month (praying that I'm strong and stable by then). Is there a membership fee or something when you shop in fareway? Hope none:-)

Post a Comment