Monday, May 14, 2012

A Savory Pie and Other News

Obviously, I have not posted in a couple of weeks.  So here's the deal.  Shortly after my last post, the whole "morning sickness" thing really got a hold of me, and I haven't even climbed the steps to the office more than maybe twice since then.  I had all these awesome recipes I'd been working on, with pictures and directions and everything . . . and suddenly, even the mention of most of them makes me start to gag.  My apologies for being unable to share them at this time.

Here's one that I just can't get enough of, though.  I have no problem making it and thinking and writing about it!  Behold, the Tomato Cheese Pie.

My grandma used to make one similar to this when I was growing up.  I ran across a recipe in an old cookbook the other day and couldn't seem to get the memory of it out of my head, so I had to make it!

Here's the recipe:

1 pie crust
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese
1 c. ricotta cheese
2 T. chopped onion
1 tsp. crumbled basil (I like more than that)
Parmesan cheese
3-4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced thin
salt and pepper

Line a pan with pie crust.  Prick with fork, bake 10 min. at 425.  Combine cheddar, mozzarella, ricotta, and onion.  Spoon into slightly cooled pie crust.  Topping: arrange tomatoes in a tightly overlapping circular pattern over the filling.  Sprinkle with basil, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.  Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Cool slightly before serving.

This is utterly delicious.  I wasn't sure how David would react but I didn't mention the ricotta, and he said he loved the pie!  I'm usually big on making quiche, so the family assumed it was a fancy version of that.  This is so easy to make - but you might want to do two because it goes fast.

In other news, we had our first OB appointment today.  It is always a relief to have that done and know that everything is okay.  In my case, I need that confirmation that I am indeed pregnant and I don't have some weird disease that makes me nauseated and turns the test positive (yes, I am crazy.  I realize this). 

We even got a few pictures, which I may post at a later date.  I am waiting to make sure our family gets a first peek. 

Yesterday we had a fabulous day for Mother's Day!  We had been running nonstop all week leading up to Sunday. David worked overtime and the kids and I visited family, ran errands, and attended graduations which meant very little rest for any of us. 

When I woke up yesterday morning, this is what I found:


I was so excited I screamed.  And I don't scream.  So far the past three days I have been feeling much better, so hopefully I will be able to use them all in the next week and have some great new recipes I can share!
We let the kids sleep late, then went to church, ordered a pizza for lunch, and watched movies all afternoon.  aaahhhh, happy Mother's Day to me!!

Hopefully that catches me up for a bit and I will be able to blog much more frequently from here on out!

1 comment:

Sabrina Amanda said...

That's awesome that you got to see your little one! Also, I got those very same pans for my birthday this year--love them! :)

Post a Comment