Thursday, July 5, 2012

Scones and Coffee, and a Really Good Friend

My original menu plan for the 4th of July included waffles, but I just wasn't in the mood when I woke up yesterday morning.  The whole family was still sleeping at 8:00 when I woke up (which, by the way, definitely sets a record for all of us ever since early-riser Julia came into the picture!), and I really wanted to try something different and fun.  So, I cracked open my trusty Better Homes and Gardens  Bridal Edition Cookbook that hasn't failed me in all its 5 years.

I flipped through it for a bit, focusing on the "Breads" section.  And then I saw it.  Scones.  I love them, and have always wanted to make them, so I thought I'd give it a shot!  Samuel woke up in time to help me roll out the dough, so he felt like they were extra special after he'd helped make them.

We had such a wonderful, leisurely morning sipping coffee and nibbling (okay, probably scarfing) scones, and the rest of the family enjoyed their fair share of sausage as well.  I just thought it was so picturesque - sitting in the morning sunlight in the kitchen while visiting.

On another but related note . . .

One of my very dearest friends, Heidi, is on her way home as I write after spending the past 2 years teaching in Peru.  She had spent a year prior to that as a student/missionary there.  I am really looking forward to seeing her next week sometime, and have been praying all day for her safety as she flies back to the United States!

Why is this a related topic?  I am picturing having much conversation with Heidi over morning coffee and a pastry!  The whole time I was making the scones yesterday, that was the picture I had in my mind.  So Heidi, when you read this, here is what you have to look forward to!

Scones - recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

2 1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. cold butter
2 beaten eggs
3/4 c. whipping cream or whole milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips, snipped raisins, or dried currants
Milk
Sugar

1. Combine flour, 2 T. sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut butter into pieces and, using a pastry blender, cut into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the center of the mixture; set aside.

2. Combine eggs, whipping cream, and chocolate chips or fruit.  Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir with a fork until just moistened.

3.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead dough by folding and pressing for 10-12 strokes or until nearly smooth.  Pat or lightly roll into an 8 inch circle.  Cut into 8 wedges.

4.  Transfer wedges to an ungreased baking sheet, placing 1 inch apart.  Brunch each wedge with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar (we thought coarse sugar would have been a nice touch). 

5. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until golden; serve warm. 

We also decided that next time, I will make a glaze using powdered sugar and milk.  I happened to have some leftover cake frosting which I may have dolloped on top this morning.  It was delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment