Monday, February 13, 2012

Buffalo Sloppy Joes

Well, I finished the diet.  I stuck with it for 6 days.  Okay, not the full 6 . . . after breakfast on Saturday I was more than a little cranky, so David suggested that I call it quits a little early.  Since he had bought me a block of blue cheese as an "I'm proud of you" type of gift, I needed to find a recipe to use it with in order to prevent myself from eating the entire block by myself.  And I remembered this awesome recipe that I'd made once before.  It made for an awesome Saturday night meal!

The first time I made it - this summer - I'm pretty certain I got it out of Taste of Home magazine.  But for the life of me, I cannot find it in my collection!  So I went searching the web and found the exact same recipe I'd used before on Rachael Ray's website.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Buffalo Sloppy Joes

First, chop all your veggies because once the meat starts to brown, the process goes pretty quickly.
Next, start browning the meat.  After about 5 minutes, add the veggies to the pot and finish browning the meat while the veggies become tender.

After about 5-10 more minutes, add in the sauce mix you've made in another bowl.

Let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until you get the table set and everything else ready to go!

Spoon your buffalo joes up onto buns, top with crumbled blue cheese and chopped dill pickle.  Serve with a salad and fries.  YUMMY!!

Buffalo Sloppy Joes
2 lb. ground chicken or turkey (I actually used deer this time and it tasted the same!)
1 carrot, peeled and grated or chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1/4-1/3 c. hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot or Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 c. tomato sauce
1 c. chicken broth or water
blue cheese, crumbled
2 large dill pickles, chopped

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add meat and break it up with a spoon; cook 5-6 minutes.  Add in carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper if desired, cook 7-8 minutes more.  In a bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, tomato sauce, and broth or water.  Pour into the pan and stir.  Simmer a few minutes more.  Serve on buns with blue cheese crumbles and chopped dill pickles.



Here's what we did with the leftovers - pizza crust, ranch dressing, slopppy joe mix,
cheddar cheese, blue cheese, pickles.  Sloppy Joe Pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment