Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blackened Chicken and Beans

Here is one of our most favorite healthy recipes ever!  No allergens here, people!  Just chicken, spices, beans, corn, and some salsa.  And the best part: it can easily be recycled to make the leftovers into something totally different. 

I should have recorded the process . . . but it was such a nice day when I made these on Tuesday, here is what I was taking pictures of instead:
 

David brought the dump truck home so he could sleep a little later and not have to back track.  Samuel was one thrilled little boy, and I'm happy I got these and the chicken didn't burn!







Next time I make this dish, I think I'll double the bean and corn mixture.  My family really loved it so I only had one serving left, which I mixed in with taco meat today.  A little more would have been even better!  And the chicken - I made a little extra and saved half back immediately after cooking it, and I plan to use that for quick fajitas on Saturday.  I also cut the breast halves into strips so that it would cook a little faster and it would be easier for the kids to eat.

Blackened Chicken and Beans

2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. frozen corn
1 c. chunky salsa

Combine the chili powder, salt and pepper; rub over both sides of chicken.  In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for abouat 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.  Remove and keep warm.

Add the beans, corn, and salsa to skillet; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.  Transfer to a serving dish and serve with chicken.

What a refreshingly simple and healthy dish.  Definitely a keeper - can't wait to make it again!


3 comments:

Pearl said...

Love that you just put a total of 1/4 tsp salt for the whole recipe. Been watching shows from the food network and some chefs use a LOT of salt. IT bothers me:-(

Emi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emi said...

Me too, Pearl! I don't know that you'd even have to put any salt in there - just maybe increase the chili powder or use another substitute. We've been trying to flavor with spices rather than salt, too!

Post a Comment